Sleep and academic performance go hand in hand. There is no doubt that a good night’s sleep empowers your brain to learn more and function effectively.
You might have often seen parents encourage their children to get a good night’s sleep before a strenuous exam. Implicit in that recommendation is the acknowledgment that sleep empowers effective thinking and performance. However, the importance of sleep goes beyond just the night of the exam. Having a routine good sleep can significantly assist your brain in functioning effectively.
In this blog, we will discuss some key ways to promote a good routine of sleep to maximize your academic performance.
Good Sleep Tips For Students
The key to getting a healthy amount of night’s sleep is building healthy habits, which are also known as sleep hygiene.
The first step towards this is deciding to make sleep a priority. Yes! You read it right. Your brain works in mysterious ways; the most effective way to enrol something in your routine is by reminding yourself of its importance and acting deliberately to make it a habit.
It’s important to stay ahead of coursework and avoid any sort of distractions and procrastination while you study. Always plan your study schedules in the day or evening to avoid any delays that might later disturb your sleeping schedule.
Another thing you should be mindful of when prioritizing your sleep is avoiding late-night outs. Always choose your social engagement carefully; if out, try leaving a party early to get the maximum amount of sleep.
Because the reward—feeling awake and alert the next morning—will foster positive decisions and contented feelings.
The next important step is to build healthy bedtime and daytime patterns. Building a good day pattern promotes a good quality of sleep. Try following sleep tips for students, which greatly assist in creating healthy sleep hygiene.
- Limit caffeine during late night hours. Caffeine is great for keeping your mind active and responsive, but having it in close proximity to sleep might heavily impact your night’s sleep. College students should also avoid any alcohol intake, which might disrupt the after-morning plan and quality of sleep.
- Avoid e-screens (laptop, tablet, phone, desktop, phone, television) within close hours of bedtime.
- Make a routine of engaging in physical activities daily. Having daily physical exercise can improve the quality of your sleep, but avoid any strong physical exertion within two hours of bedtime.
- Establish a sleep schedule. Be as consistent as possible in your bedtime and rise time whether you feel like sleeping or not, deliberately take out time and try hitting bed on time. This will help create a proper sleep schedule.
- Always go to bed with a relaxed mind. A busy and anxious mind is less likely to get a good sleep. Engage yourself in calming activities before hitting the bed. Try journaling, yoga, or a self-care activity that uplifts and relaxes you.
The Importance Of Sleep In Learning
Medical and psychological experts widely accept that poor sleep reduces cognitive abilities and can affect the school performance of students.
Many researches have been widely conducted that highlight the importance of sleep in learning and how the lack of it can harm academic achievement in several ways.
Some known problems associated with lack of sleep include:
- Decreased attention
- Slowed processing of knowledge
- Impaired memory
- Reduction of creativity and research
- Worsened sequential thinking
- Poor decision making
- Risk of aggressive behaviour
- Irritability and mood swings
- Hyperactive behaviour
- Depression and anxiety
- Excessive daytime sleeping.
Sleeping is nature’s way of rejuvenating your body, mind, and soul. For students, insufficient sleep can cause mental and physical health issues, affecting their academic performance. Yet, fostering good sleep habits and hygiene can help. Above all, a relaxed and tranquil mind significantly enhances the quality of sleep.
About Tutor IMG
If you’re a medical graduate prepping for your licensing exams, Tutor IMG has got you covered! We offer a motivating and encouraging preparation service for medical exams, under the capable leadership of our committed faculty, that takes off all your worries.